San Diego Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Organization and information about protests against the Church of Scientology in San Diego

HomeHome  PortalPortal  ChatChat  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Legal v. Illegal

Go down 
+9
annonilate
ANONdur
ANOthersandiegaN
kombat
RandomFaceInCrowd
Daft
Sibyl
The Archbishop
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Archbishop
OT 2

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Does anyone know a simple medium to investigate whether an specific action is legal or not?
For example: say a ragtag group of internet users referring to themselves as "Incognito" wanted to drop fliers protesting a cult from rooftops Downtown.
After everything is planned, one member questions the legality of these actions.

How does this member find out? Preferably via the net. Because the member hates reading anything that isn't on a screen.

Grafias.
Back to top Go down
Sibyl
OT 3
Sibyl

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:22 pm

For your example, dropping fliers from rooftops is littering.

Common sense helps a lot, but when you're not too sure, all you have to do is phone your local police department. I'm sure they will be more then willing to answer your questions.
Back to top Go down
Daft
CLEAR
Daft

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Anonymous is not a fucking dumptruck.
Back to top Go down
The Archbishop
OT 2

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:40 pm

Yeah, common sense is great, but it doesn't help with the laundry list of punishable offenses associated with the Co$. I wouldn't necessarily want to talk to a police officer for hours on end discussing every law I have a question about. I would prefer to read it in some Wiki style format, where I could flesh out my research to encompass every aspect of an otherwise mundane rule. I want to know trespassing laws specifically, and what protesters are permitted to do before and after a protest. While we can all agree Anonymous has only the best intentions, there are some laws employed and most likely manipulated by the Co$ that prevent us from doing what we do.
I think we need a handbook, (if one does not already exist) that explains in detail the amount of freedom we are allotted at any given protest. I think it should become synonymous with Anonymous, much the the Guy Fawkes mask. We could call it the Protester's Bible.
Crazy ideas aside, i think we all need to know exactly what we can and cannot do during a raid. It is just a step necessary to becoming lean mean raiding machines.
Questions anyone?
Back to top Go down
The Archbishop
OT 2

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:41 pm

Daft wrote:
Anonymous is not a fucking dumptruck.

Hey, take your beef up with incognito. They are the crazy motherfuckers who plan on dumping fliers.
All I did was make them up.
Back to top Go down
Daft
CLEAR
Daft

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Since I don't know what you're talking about and pretty much don't care, I'm going to target you. Once again, who the fuck are you?
Back to top Go down
Sibyl
OT 3
Sibyl

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 3:01 pm

Anonymous is on good terms with the Police. Barb herself talks to a local detective, and asks him many questions. If we have a question, Barb takes it up with him.

xenubarb wrote:
Gentlemen,

Regarding the Noobs on the police force patrol, I sent the link to the video to our liaison.
He wrote back with this:

Quote :
A new shift of officers are on patrol. The Lt and Captain know who you
folks are and that is our main concern. For u I will go to the 2nd watch
line up of officers and let them know what you folks are about. Only for
you

We are loved!

A protest hand book is a good idea, but can't be used generally. Each area has different laws and different situations.

Example: Clearwater, FL police are controlled by Scifags (Correct me someone if I get this wrong). Not much can be done with these Scifags, the Anons here must be more careful.
Back to top Go down
The Archbishop
OT 2

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 3:29 pm

Daft wrote:
Since I don't know what you're talking about and pretty much don't care, I'm going to target you. Once again, who the fuck are you?

Me? Well my name is Will Hunting, I work at a college as a janitor, but I really feel like I'm a lot smarter than most of the people who go there. And sometimes I will see half of an unsolved equation on a blackboard and I will just solve it, ya know?
Back to top Go down
OT 8

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 4:40 pm

Pretty much, if you have to question if it's legal or not, don't do it.

The exception to this, is do it for the lulz.

The bigger part of anonymous will vocally speak out against your actions, yet rejoice in their cold, unbeating hearts. But it will bring lulz to all.

Also, you'll have to deal with the legal responsibilities of such actions, and quite probably will be doxed as a result.

AND DO NOT CARRY A KATANA NEAR AN ORG. Shurikens have yet to be tried, I believe.
Back to top Go down
The Archbishop
OT 2

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Okay man, how the hell did you know I was bringing my katana to the next raid?
I feel like we all must do our best to not break the law, but the most effective protesters operate just within the boundaries of the law.
Back to top Go down
Sibyl
OT 3
Sibyl

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 8:26 pm

SDanons operate with the law...

Have you ever been to a raid?
Back to top Go down
RandomFaceInCrowd
CLEAR
RandomFaceInCrowd

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 8:27 pm

this thread makes me facedesk
Back to top Go down
http://www.kevdo.com/lipbalm/history.html
Sibyl
OT 3
Sibyl

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 8:29 pm

RandomFaceInCrowd wrote:

Lol
Back to top Go down
kombat
CLEAR
kombat

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 8:46 pm

RandomFaceInCrowd wrote:

^
Back to top Go down
http://doom3.zoy.org
ANOthersandiegaN
CLEAR
ANOthersandiegaN

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 11:12 am

^^^^^ SRSLY

if you have to question legality dont do it, at least not when the rest of us are around
Back to top Go down
ANONdur
CLEAR
ANONdur

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Rather... don't expect anyone to stick their neck out for you.
Back to top Go down
The Archbishop
OT 2

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 10:42 am

ANOthersandiegaN wrote:
^^^^^ SRSLY

if you have to question legality dont do it, at least not when the rest of us are around

Yaarrrghh.
Okay fellas, listen up, its grood for your health.
Not one of you motherfuckers, cept maybe Sybil, did one goddamn thing to answer my question.
No, I was not advocating doing anything illegal.
No, I was not doing my best to change Anonymous into a militant or otherwise illegally operating group.
Yes, I was ASKING, (and using a rather silly example) if anyone knew a way that I could look up and know for sure whether or not something is within the boundaries in the law.
Yes, I have been to a raid, and I stood idly holding my sign like a good law abiding citizen. But, to protect my freedom, my pocketbook, and the sanctity of my anal cavity, I want to be more informed of local San Diegan laws. Specifically the ones that pertain to the raids we enjoy so much.
Now if anyone has an answer to my question, and not, "if you have to question it don't do it," which is the single worst piece of advice I have ever been given, PM me, or post it here so all the Anons can bask in the glory of your wisdom.
Back to top Go down
ANOthersandiegaN
CLEAR
ANOthersandiegaN

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 11:10 am

well your suggestion had more to do with being littering which is illegal and doesn't pertain to protestors..... laws on protesting here require that if you use sign holding stick it be no larger and 3/4" if round and i forget square size, cannot sit down while protesting, can not harass people, you can yell out things towards people you are protesting but nothing lewd or vulgar, must keep sidewalk spaces clear for pedestrians, must not block driveways or entrances, stay off private property. thats about it really. all pretty common sense, if you have none, well then it sucks to be you =D
Back to top Go down
Sibyl
OT 3
Sibyl

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 11:31 am

^^^ And no throwing things at people. : )

Anyway, just ask one of the older Anons, since they been at this for a year now.

Barb is probably your best bet, since she has been at this longer then I've been born.... (She's a trooper)
And she has her connection in the SDPD for more knowledge.

BTW, don't take things anons say personally. They do things for the lulz, but really we're teddy bears. cat
Back to top Go down
ANOthersandiegaN
CLEAR
ANOthersandiegaN

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:28 pm

/me is not a teddy bear

and yeah no throwing things, but thats common sense right?
and no bomb threats not even joking around or you may find yourself B& here and IRL
also, refer to anything AO has done as a good example of what not to do
^ we like Sci have 0 tolerance to high levels of retardation Twisted Evil

Last edited by ANOthersandiegaN on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sibyl
OT 3
Sibyl

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:31 pm

TEDDY BEAR!

Em.... That one cop seemed to think we didn't know that.
Back to top Go down
ANONdur
CLEAR
ANONdur

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:52 pm

You're seeing very little constructive response because it is a bit difficult answering your question. The example you gave us has to do with littering but you could have given us a variety of examples and each would involve a separate legal question.

The advice is as follows, then.

Lurk moar: If you think your op has the potential of treading in illegal waters look it up. Google is your friend. What does it involve, the mail? Well then you're looking into the USPS and laws at the local, state, and federal level. Is it involving public property and vandalism? You're looking at a different beast. Figure out who would get a complaint sent to them and find out what they feel about what you're doing.

If you have to question the legality of something, don't do it: This proves to be a bit accurate because we all seem to be endowed with common sense. Mostly we feel it is common sense that we be allowed to protest at day or at night. We should be allowed to wear masks. We should be allowed to protest on any day and to talk to people who pass by. We should be allowed to play music if it's not too loud or too vulgar.

But this isn't always the case. Some places don't allow music, or standing around, or night time protesting. Those are all things that common sense leads you to believe are fine to do. I think you can draw the conclusion that if you have some qualm with a certain op that it's probably going to break some rule. Rule of thumb.

In my opinion you're tackling this the wrong way. Rather than try and find an all purpose resource involve yourself with anonymous, figure out who knows what they're talking about, and you may find that people will be interested in what you want to do.

Even Agent Pubeit had allies and what he did was supremely stupids. And heroic.

And being condescending when asking for something is not how you get things done.
Back to top Go down
The Archbishop
OT 2

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 3:35 pm

ANOthersandiegaN wrote:
well your suggestion had more to do with being littering which is illegal and doesn't pertain to protestors.....

Suggestion?
---------------
A great big manly heterosexual pat on the bum to ANONdur, who made a pretty damn grood attempt at answering my question. If no such database as the one I inquiry about exists, well fuck, its back to old Google.

Again, I was not asking whether or not something was illegal, but where I could find out if I so desired.
Who doesn't know that littering is illegal?
Back to top Go down
annonilate
OT 5
annonilate

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 8:39 pm

The Archbishop wrote:

A great big manly heterosexual pat on the bum to ANONdur, who made a pretty damn grood attempt at answering my question. If no such database as the one I inquiry about exists, well fuck, its back to old Google.

The problem, you see, is that what you're looking for is the bread and butter of the entire court system. We do have such a reference. It's called "The Law". It is contained in hundreds of extremely thick books. Parts of it contradict other parts. Parts of it are decided by the precedents set by previous courts. Parts of it are unenforceable. Parts of it are absurd.

Then there's the entire role of the lawyers. If you commit act X against Scientology, Mr. Moxon will likely state that it is a very serious crime. Mr. Berry will almost certainly have the opposite opinion and will state with equal force that X is not a crime at all. Then the whole mess is given over to twelve random cheloveks that have been pulled in off the street to decide.

I do not mock you maliciously. If there were an easily searchable, unambiguous law database as you describe, it would make life much simpler for a large number of people.
Back to top Go down
TVwheels
OT 4

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Go to www.findlaw.com you can look for laws under Code of Civil Procedure, Civil, Criminal, Vehicle etc....

A wonderful tool for all your eventualities:)

Tonya
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Legal v. Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legal v. Illegal   Legal v. Illegal Empty

Back to top Go down

Legal v. Illegal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
San Diego Anonymous :: GOLD BASE :: Think Tank-
Jump to: