San Diego Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Organization and information about protests against the Church of Scientology in San Diego

HomeHome  PortalPortal  ChatChat  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Protip: Your printer may be a spai.

Go down 
+2
Char Aznable
annonilate
6 posters
AuthorMessage
annonilate
OT 5
annonilate

Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. Empty
PostSubject: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Attention Anonymous:

This is just a heads up for those of you who may not be up on hardware news. This is not a serious threat, but it is something to keep in mind if one is performing clandestine deeds.

http://www.eff.org/issues/printers

and

http://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers-which-do-or-do-not-display-tracking-dots

tl;dr Many common brands of color printer include a unique pattern of nearly invisible yellow dots that can be used by forensic people to match a document with the printer it came from. The rationale is to aid law enforcement in the apprehension of those who include "printing my own money" as a hobby.

Choosy anons choose Kinko's. Even for the original.

Attention Scientologists:

Hello! This is an excellent way to track down our identities. Spend lots of your time and money pursuing this route. Our flyers are free! (Scientology is not) You can easily get some and crack the secret pattern with your spai decoder rings.
Back to top Go down
Char Aznable
Wog Squad
Wog Squad
Char Aznable

PostSubject: Re: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 8:00 pm

annonilate wrote:
Attention Anonymous:

This is just a heads up for those of you who may not be up on hardware news. This is not a serious threat, but it is something to keep in mind if one is performing clandestine deeds.

http://www.eff.org/issues/printers

and

http://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers-which-do-or-do-not-display-tracking-dots

tl;dr Many common brands of color printer include a unique pattern of nearly invisible yellow dots that can be used by forensic people to match a document with the printer it came from. The rationale is to aid law enforcement in the apprehension of those who include "printing my own money" as a hobby.

Choosy anons choose Kinko's. Even for the original.

Attention Scientologists:

Hello! This is an excellent way to track down our identities. Spend lots of your time and money pursuing this route. Our flyers are free! (Scientology is not) You can easily get some and crack the secret pattern with your spai decoder rings.

INVISIBLE DOTS
Back to top Go down
xenubarb
CLEAR
xenubarb

PostSubject: Re: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 9:44 pm

WEIRD...

They refuse to put identifying tags in explosives, but they stick invisible yellow dots in our printers...
Back to top Go down
RandomFaceInCrowd
CLEAR
RandomFaceInCrowd

PostSubject: Re: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 10:05 pm

so if this just started happening i wouldnt be too worried about it if your using a printer thats more than a year old. but still i think its safe to say "BLAST! thwarted again"
Back to top Go down
http://www.kevdo.com/lipbalm/history.html
annonilate
OT 5
annonilate

PostSubject: Re: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 10:29 pm

I've been aware of this for several years. According to the EFF, it started becoming public knowledge in 2005. We must assume that it's one or two years older than that.
Back to top Go down
Char Aznable
Wog Squad
Wog Squad
Char Aznable

PostSubject: Re: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 11:45 pm

annonilate wrote:
I've been aware of this for several years. According to the EFF, it started becoming public knowledge in 2005. We must assume that it's one or two years older than that.

Good thing Kinko's loves us! What a Face
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 12:15 am

So... the original printer prints yellow dots.

Then you run the original through a b/w copier. What's that do to the dots?

It -does- explain though why my printer runs out of frakking yellow ink so ludicrously fast.
Back to top Go down
Char Aznable
Wog Squad
Wog Squad
Char Aznable

PostSubject: Re: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 1:54 am

A Noun? A Miss! wrote:

It -does- explain though why my printer runs out of frakking yellow ink so ludicrously fast.

Conspiracy to buy MOAR INK

Although, refilling them is cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Zen
Wog Squad
Wog Squad
Zen

PostSubject: Re: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 8:02 am

A Noun? A Miss! wrote:

OMG that's the reason why! When i print out like 500-1000 or so fliers and set it to low quality Black and white only, i still run out of yellow ink. I fucking hate printers, and now i hate printer companies.
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 pm

Yeah, recently I had to get MOAR YELLER and I was all like "what the hell have I been printing in yellow?" I thought maybe it was mapquest stuff but NOW I KNOW.

AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE.

AGAINST THE MAN.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protip: Your printer may be a spai.   Protip:  Your printer may be a spai. Empty

Back to top Go down

Protip: Your printer may be a spai.
Page 1 of 1