San Diego Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Organization and information about protests against the Church of Scientology in San Diego

HomeHome  PortalPortal  ChatChat  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Ideas... E-meters?

Go down 
+7
anonsoldier
pokanon
For_the_People
Char Aznable
scarletbanner
ANONdur
A Noun? A Miss!
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

Random Ideas... E-meters? Empty
PostSubject: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 11:48 pm

This site has schematics for how to build e-meter circuits. I'm not bad with a soldering iron so I was thinking of making my own. Maybe use it as a curio piece, or turn it into a sort of Ouija game.

Then I got to thinking.

If we had our own e-meter, we could set up a FREE STRESS TEST booth in the middle of our own protests which we could all stop at and give each other silly tests such as "have you ever maligned the name of ceiling cat" or some such. This would cause cognitive dissonance to the enemy and give us opportunities to generate our own PR images (sort of like the picture of the Anon taking the stress test because no one else would).

Then I got to thinking some more.

We could then go about offering "Free Stress Tests" here and there--the Corporation doesn't have a trademark on the practice, after all--and cause a good deal of enturbulation that way. We could set up our own FREE STRESS TEST booths (labeled, I don't know, FREE RANDOM QUESTIONS) that we could use to offer information as well as trade some lulz. We show people how the magic trick works before they get suckered in by it, and we innoculate the populace.

It's a silly idea, and probably stupid, but I may as well throw it out there.
Back to top Go down
ANONdur
CLEAR
ANONdur

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 11:57 pm

If the e-meter itself has a patent does that change things? I'm not sure exactly how patent law works, but it would seem to me that it's dangerous territory.
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 11:59 pm

The patent on the e-meter is expired and is in the public domain. It's legal as sliced bread.
Back to top Go down
scarletbanner
CLEAR
scarletbanner

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 12:02 am

ANONdur wrote:
If the e-meter itself has a patent does that change things? I'm not sure exactly how patent law works, but it would seem to me that it's dangerous territory.
There are also schmatics for the Freezone e-meter.

Anyways, what will they do.. take it from a table your sitting at, take it apart and sue you...? Before that even they would have to name/facefag you.

Aren't patents also to protect against commericial reproduction? I don't remember if homebrewed material counts under it.. I know employment law, not patent and rights garbage.

Since the patents expired... DO IT.

If no one knows how, I have some contacts who make computer parts (motherboards, etc.) who might be able to turn something out if funds were collected.
Back to top Go down
http://sandiegoan.on.nimp.org
ANONdur
CLEAR
ANONdur

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 12:08 am

If that's the case I can't see a problem with it. I'd do it, it takes the protest a step further.
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 12:16 am

scarletbanner wrote:
If no one knows how, I have some contacts who make computer parts (motherboards, etc.) who might be able to turn something out if funds were collected.
I'll probably tinker with it over the next month--honestly, the e-meter is a completely stupid electrical circuit with no logic functions whatsoever. A circuit board would be... shall we say... going somewhat overboard.

Ouch. That pun was unintentional.

Sides, the Anonymeter Mark I will probably be a wooden or cardboard box with components wired together and maybe hot-glued to something. A proof of concept. If I can get the Anonymeter Mark I to work (and I'd be a really crummy technical person not to) then the Anonymeter Mark II can be flashier.

If anyone's got any old or broken Mac components they'd like to donate, we could make a really sleek looking iMeter.
Back to top Go down
Char Aznable
Wog Squad
Wog Squad
Char Aznable

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 12:28 am

A Noun? A Miss! wrote:
scarletbanner wrote:
I'll probably tinker with it over the next month--honestly, the e-meter is a completely stupid electrical circuit with no logic functions whatsoever. A circuit board would be... shall we say... going somewhat overboard.

Ouch. That pun was unintentional.

Sides, the Anonymeter Mark I will probably be a wooden or cardboard box with components wired together and maybe hot-glued to something. A proof of concept. If I can get the Anonymeter Mark I to work (and I'd be a really crummy technical person not to) then the Anonymeter Mark II can be flashier.

If anyone's got any old or broken Mac components they'd like to donate, we could make a really sleek looking iMeter.

I have a really clunky keyboard, a mouse and 6500/250 mac tower.

Unfortunately imacs are somewhat standard stay in most school
I'll see if I scrounge a leftover form my local techdump
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 12:35 am

It's gotta be sleek white or have filleted/scalloped vanity panels made of translucent colored plastic.
Back to top Go down
Char Aznable
Wog Squad
Wog Squad
Char Aznable

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 1:51 am

A Noun? A Miss! wrote:
It's gotta be sleek white or have filleted/scalloped vanity panels made of translucent colored plastic.

You mean an eMac then, the speaker grills were chrome
Back to top Go down
For_the_People
CLEAR
For_the_People

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 2:38 am

me being a PC anon more than a mac anon...

i have alot of space pc shit with computer parts ranging from prolly 95, 98, 2000 and recent shit too...

would have to index if given more information on what's needed.

you all have seemed to miss out on one crucial element...

The questions. the long... long.... exuberant (not the pleasant definition... the "largely over done" definition) test to see what level of vegetable you are.

/d/iscuss?

FTP
Back to top Go down
Char Aznable
Wog Squad
Wog Squad
Char Aznable

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 8:15 am

For_the_People wrote:
me being a PC anon more than a mac anon...

i have alot of space pc shit with computer parts ranging from prolly 95, 98, 2000 and recent shit too...

would have to index if given more information on what's needed.
you all have seemed to miss out on one crucial element...

The questions. the long... long.... exuberant (not the pleasant definition... the "largely over done" definition) test to see what level of vegetable you are.

/d/iscuss?

FTP

Heheheh, /d/ is actually a board on 4chan that stands for "Alternative Loving" board.

I æ has a set of questions if you look up the sec check, I can copy pasta it and print it up for the next time.
Back to top Go down
For_the_People
CLEAR
For_the_People

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 12:21 pm

its something that i stole from wow... let me be a nerd...

/discuss..... it what it was
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 1:36 am

Anon Char wrote:
A Noun? A Miss! wrote:

You mean an eMac then, the speaker grills were chrome
Meh, you know what I'm talking about. All design and sleek and crap to hide the fact that the insides would make a decent introduction-to-soldering class.
Back to top Go down
pokanon
OT 3
pokanon

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 1:51 pm

DO IT ******
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 2:04 pm

From Wikipedia:

Quote :
The Chaser's War On Everything aired a segment with Julian Morrow out the front of the Church of Scientology in Sydney, asking if people would like to take a 'gullibility test.' Some of the questions included "Can you believe that a famous science fiction writer also created a completely true religion?" and "Can you believe that Tom Cruise is a completely normal human being?"

Well, I know what we'll be doing with our e-meters.
Back to top Go down
anonsoldier
BIGGEST BALLS ON THE PLANET

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 2:14 pm

A Noun? A Miss! wrote:
From Wikipedia:

Quote :
The Chaser's War On Everything aired a segment with Julian Morrow out the front of the Church of Scientology in Sydney, asking if people would like to take a 'gullibility test.' Some of the questions included "Can you believe that a famous science fiction writer also created a completely true religion?" and "Can you believe that Tom Cruise is a completely normal human being?"

Well, I know what we'll be doing with our e-meters.

QFT. I demand you all do this at the next protest and post pictures. I wanna see proof of epic win while I'm away.
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 5:22 pm

Alright, I've priced out the cost of components for an e-meter. I'll keep my suppliers quiet, but here's the breakdown:

$6.49 for more resistors than we'll ever need
$0.99 for a one-cell AA battery holder
$1.79 for a four-cell AA battery holder (yes, it has two voltage sources, go figure)
$9.90 for three 2N1303 PNP transistors
$1.99 for two plastic knobs
+ $19.00 for a 0-100 microamp meter
-----------
$40.26 for a functional e-meter circuit, minus cans and wires and casing (which can add up to ~$5 to cost, or be cheap as free)

And they sell these things for four thousand dollars.
Back to top Go down
Char Aznable
Wog Squad
Wog Squad
Char Aznable

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 6:03 pm

A Noun? A Miss! wrote:
Alright, I've priced out the cost of components for an e-meter. I'll keep my suppliers quiet, but here's the breakdown:

$6.49 for more resistors than we'll ever need
$0.99 for a one-cell AA battery holder
$1.79 for a four-cell AA battery holder (yes, it has two voltage sources, go figure)
$9.90 for three 2N1303 PNP transistors
$1.99 for two plastic knobs
+ $19.00 for a 0-100 microamp meter
-----------
$40.26 for a functional e-meter circuit, minus cans and wires and casing (which can add up to ~$5 to cost, or be cheap as free)

And they sell these things for four thousand dollars.

A fully functioning e-meter is really worth no more than around $250, but what about the one on ebay? That one has a nice wooden case!
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 6:16 pm

The only way I can imagine an e-meter being anywhere near $250 in parts costs is if it uses only the finest transistors picked from the transisturu root-plants of Japan, only the most delicate platinum-band resistors cunningly woven out of the discarded skins of the ohmic pythons that inhabit the furthest reaches of the dark isle of Leng, and a high end laboratory-quality amperage meter.
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Okay, here's why it's $250.

tl;dr The Corporation pays its supplier top dollar to customize their meter movement by removing the damping.
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 11:25 am

I finally got the Anonymeter done and... well... doesn't work. The batteries aren't getting hot when I just leave the switches closed, which means that a circuit just isn't being made. I'll have to pull the circuit board (again... sigh) and make sure all the connections match the circuit diagram... or, maybe I should do what I should've done in the first place and validate the circuit diagram to see that it actually makes circuits. It looks like it should, but anyway...

Plus side is that all it should entail is some more soldering. Minus side is that funds are a bit too tight at the moment to try again.

Obvious cause of failure, having nothing to do with my own ineptitude: OT POWERS. My lower back sometimes hurts when I sleep in too long, so I'm pretty sure learning the dangerous secrets of the e-meter when I finally get it right will kill me. Ah well; I give my life to the cause with gladness.
Back to top Go down
Char Aznable
Wog Squad
Wog Squad
Char Aznable

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 12:39 pm

A Noun? A Miss! wrote:
I finally got the Anonymeter done and... well... doesn't work. The batteries aren't getting hot when I just leave the switches closed, which means that a circuit just isn't being made. I'll have to pull the circuit board (again... sigh) and make sure all the connections match the circuit diagram... or, maybe I should do what I should've done in the first place and validate the circuit diagram to see that it actually makes circuits. It looks like it should, but anyway...

Plus side is that all it should entail is some more soldering. Minus side is that funds are a bit too tight at the moment to try again.

Obvious cause of failure, having nothing to do with my own ineptitude: OT POWERS. My lower back sometimes hurts when I sleep in too long, so I'm pretty sure learning the dangerous secrets of the e-meter when I finally get it right will kill me. Ah well; I give my life to the cause with gladness.

Solder on friend!
Back to top Go down
A Noun? A Miss!
OT 6
A Noun? A Miss!

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:13 am

Puns like that are considered a war crime by the Geneva Conventions.
Back to top Go down
Char Aznable
Wog Squad
Wog Squad
Char Aznable

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 3:50 am

A Noun? A Miss! wrote:
Puns like that are considered a war crime by the Geneva Conventions.

NO U! Arrow

This is bush country, no genever convention applies to this here parts.
Back to top Go down
For_the_People
CLEAR
For_the_People

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 7:07 am

bush is no president of mine..

hes gone in a few months anyways...

/cheer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Ideas... E-meters?   Random Ideas... E-meters? Empty

Back to top Go down

Random Ideas... E-meters?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next